You may find cooking with beets to be somewhat intimidating. Over the years, the vegetable has sort of developed a bad reputation, but don't let that keep you from trying it. The bold flavor carries with it a great deal of health benefits.
This recipe highlights the sharp beet flavor with a more mild feta, but is balanced with tang from lemon juice. The pumpkin seeds and a nice crunch to the salad without detracting from the other flavors. It is simple, and perfectly shows off the underappreciated taste of the illustrious root vegetable.
Beet & Feta Salad
Up to 6 servings
- 4 medium beets
- 8 oz feta cubes
- Juice of one lemon (2-3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Boil beets in a large pot for approximately 45 minutes.
- Peel, then chop the beets into one-inch cubes.
- Place beets in a medium bowl and toss in lemon juice.
- Add feta cubes and mix together.
- Top with pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
- Keep the skins on with about two inches of stem while boiling to ensure the bold flavor and color.
- After boiling, the thin skins can be easily rubbed off while running under cool water.
- Though beets carry a good deal of sweetness, add honey before serving for those who are turned off by its pungent flavor.